Sunday, 20 January 2013

Sample Sunday - Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream skin protectant - worth the hype?

Hi ladies

Today we have a review of the much hyped, almost iconic product - Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. I received a sample of this at the #LiveBloggers event last year and was so excited to see it in the goody bag after hearing everyone talk about it. The 50ml retails for £25 and I have a cute 15ml sample.

The uses for this on the EA website almost made me pass out but in short 8 hour cream is apparently:

An absolute must have for everyone! This skincare classic restores, calms and helps relieve chapped, cracked and dry skin. It works efficiently to sooth roughness, redness and minor skin irritations.

First of all, it's not a cream. This somewhat surprised me. I was expecting a cream as suggested in the name but instead I got a thick, apricot/orange coloured gel. In terms of scent, I had prepared myself for something strong but I really wasn't ready for it. It's such a heavy herbal scent and not my thing at all. I can imagine it's something you would get use too but I doubt it's something I would ever describe as pleasant.

What does it actually do?! Let me address some of the points on the EA website:

1. Skin Saver - Protect skin from drying wind, central heating & air conditioning. I assume that means tackling dryness. Although I have really dry skin I couldn't imagine rubbing this thick gel on my face or body as it's greasy and kind of sticky. It relieves burns, scrapes and abrasions - Now, I'm not in the business of regularly hurting myself if I'm honest and if I were too, I'd probably apply some £2 antiseptic cream from the pharmacy.
2. Shine factor - Apply to lids, cheeks and legs - I'm not a professional MUA and EA informs me this is all the rage with them but I don't see us everyday make up users getting much use from this. (As always, correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen it in a FOTD).
3. Eye opener - Use this to keep your eyebrows in place. Seriously I have no words!? I just can't imagine why I would use this when I can use a clear £1 mascara for that job. 

As you can tell, I wouldn't use this product for any of these purposes. What I have been using it for however is as a lip balm. It is a thick but smooth consistency and although it would be too much for summer, I don't mind using some in winter. That was till I discovered in addition to salicylic acid and vitamin E this product is over 50% petroleum! Now, I'm the first to admit, I'm no ingredients expert but isn't that essentially Vaseline? I stopped using my vaseline lip therapy as I believed it wasn't actually moisturising my lips but instead creating a barrier so that leads me to the question...Is Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream essentially glorified, overpriced vaseline?

I feel now is a fitting time to add that lots of my aunties who have spent 20+ years putting vaseline all over their faces at night, now have beautiful flawless skin in their 40s/50s and it's something they swear by. That is something that always leaves me intrigued but the thought of applying a product of that texture on my face just isn't something that appeals to me.

Back to 8 hour cream, clearly it can't be a cult product without working for thousands, if not millions of ladies worldwide so I really want to try and give a balanced view. Ingredients aside though, other than using it as a £25 lip balm I just could not find a day to day use for it (cuts and burns aside of course) so I would not buy the full size.

Let me know what you think ladies?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

Edit: For the purpose of this review (against all my instincts) I did try it all over my face but it felt sticky as expected and weirdly left me a bit itchy. The stickiness doesn't last though and I have woken up with fairly smooth skin so I could potentially use it on my nose from time to time to see if it helps with flaking but then I could use Vaseline for that if I wanted. I also tried it as hand 'cream' but it was so hard to rub in and left them so sticky that I couldn't touch anything for quite a while. 

30 comments:

  1. I don't think I would use this product! Yep that's Vaseline! I try not to use products with any ingredients coming from bi-products of the oil industry!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on this, I am strong believer that petroleum should not be used on skin

      Delete
    2. I was surprised to discover how much petroleum there was!

      Delete
  2. I have a tube & to be honest I've been using it on my feet as it's the only area that needs it! I'm glad I've tried it but I wouldn't repurchase it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I'm glad I got to give it a go after hearing so much about it x

      Delete
  3. I use this on my eczema at night but that's about it (and sometimes as a lipbalm). The smell is really off putting and I definitely wouldn't put it all over my face (i'd rather use the vaseline instead!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a make-up artist this product is a god send but my personal tube has been in the cabinet for almost 4 years barely being used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised by the whole MUA love for this but that's because I'm not a pro lol x

      Delete
  5. I absolutely hate this. I reviewed it on my blog and everyone was so shocked but honestly - the smell and texture are gross and how oily it was made me break out around my mouth ! Despite the hype, it's definitely not for everyone x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so much I hate it but I just don't get the point lol. When I tried to search for negative reviews I barely found any x

      Delete
  6. The smell of this product put me right off. I even tried a sample of the 'unscented' one, which also had a smell, just less pungent. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scent is definitely an interesting one x

      Delete
  7. I personally love it- I use it on my skin and lips and find it to be one of the only products to keep dryness at bay x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this review, I don't think I will consider buying it after your review. I think products are seriously overpriced and you would think a brand such EA would be credible.

    My fav skincare product is aloe vera gel which is also great for cuts, burns etc. and healing. Great for acne too. I just think there are cheaper and more natural alternatives out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a brand like EA would contain more natural ingredients. Naive!

      Delete
  9. It's too pricey and not packaged prettily enough to attract me, but I do love the fact that it was developed to treat racehorses, rather than people. Have you tried 8 hour lip protectant? Can't remember how I got my hands on some, but it was VERY good, especially in winter. Mez, PLEASE do a post with your vaseline-laden Aunties! I keep seeing so much shock and horror about petroleum by-products, but can't help thinking 'but it's kept many women beautiful for decades ...', so would love to get your Aunties' take on this. iBeheld x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol not only do my Aunties not know about my blog, they don't even know what a blog is x

      Delete
  10. Would not buy this. But do you think I should start putting Vaseline on my face at night?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not much of a fan of 8 hour cream and think it's pretty overhyped! There are much better products on the market that are half the price with better ingredients IMO! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't stand the smell and it didn't make any miracle - thumbs down for me, I'm afraid. I wouldn't re-buy it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every time I'm tempted, I look at the price and think, nope, no way Jose!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb! Generally I never read whole articles but the way you wrote Cheap Dog Carrier, Luxury Dog Carrier this information is simply amazing and this kept my interest in reading and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the price isn't cheap but you can find it for less if you shop around, especially online. I read that some people don't like the scented one so when I first bought it I got the unscented version. It definitely does smell, but I don't find it offensive at all. Then I accidentally picked up the normal one and to be honest I think it smells better than the unscented version! I don't think either are as strong as everyone makes out. The actual cream (yes it looks and feels like Vaseline) I think is amazing. Vaseline does not even touch my dry skin problem.
    Of course if you don't have a problem like dry skin or chapped lips you won't use it everyday and it might feel like a bit of a waste. However, it is very versatile, currently I am using it to heal a tattoo but on a daily basis I use it on dry skin and cracked lips which I have a real problem with and it works wonders. Yes it is sticky but I leave it on my face over night (it is eight hour cream after all!) and I wash my face in the morning anyway so it doesn't really inconvenience me. The fact it lasts so long is a plus for me, I hate having to reapply lip balm every half an hour. I think it is super handy and the kind of thing that most people would benefit from having because of the amount of uses it has, but of course you can never get a beauty product that suits everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the detailed comment.very true, to each their own x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)