Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Helen É cosmetics.

Hi ladies

A while ago I was sent some Helen E cosmetics to review. I opted for a glitter pot, the fixing gel and the Nubian beauty duo.

The reason I went for the glitter pot is because I've been watching tutorials on youtube where pigment has been used on the centre of the eyelid and it looks so beautiful. I thought it would be great to use at Asian weddings. These retail for £5 and you get 2g of product. They have a huge range of colours to choose from and I went for white disco because I thought it would compliment a lot of looks.





In short, I'm not a fan of the product but that's my own fault. What I think I was looking for was more the shimmer eye powders. The glitter pot is exactly that - glitter. The little glitters actually feel quite sharp when you try to remove it, there's lots of fall out and you'll basically find glitter for days. 

Next up is the fixing gel. I was recommended to take this with the glitter to keep it all in place. This costs £10 for 7ml of product. It has an easy to use doe foot applicator, is a clear gel and it is quite runny. At first I thought the runny formula meant it wouldn't help anything to stick. I then compared it to the UDPP and below you can see the results.

Left to right: just the glitter, fixing gel and UDPP.

When I wiped my hand, all the glitter that wasn't stuck to my hand using the fixing gel disappeared (onto my floor. Despair!). So, from what I can see (with very limited use) the fixing gel does a decent job.


Lastly, I thought I would try a face product. I went with the Nubian beauty duo in shade 3 which retails for £16.50. Shade 3 is the lightest in the Nubian range and the website says it is suitable for golden undertones. Now this product really really confuses me. The website says it gives a flawless finish and evens out skintone. The website says it looks natural and feels lightweight. I agree with that last bit but that is because the product gives zero coverage. I just don't understand what I'm meant to do with it.



It has a nice big mirror and the packaging is very sleek and travel friendly but I had to seriously build up the product to get any payoff. The last thing you want in a foundation/whatever this is.
I have to give recognition to the brand for having a whole section dedicated to what they call 'black make up' but basically make up for darker skin tones. That's very rare with any brand and they also have blushers to complement darker skin.

On the whole, I may have went with the wrong products. The glitter just isn't what I was expecting but it is exactly what it says on the tin, a pot of glitter. The fixing gel is redundant without the glitter although it does a good job and so in hindsight I wish I had gone for the shimmer pot or the eyeshadow primer instead. However, the nubian beauty (foundation?!) was a complete disappointment. There are no two ways about it. I just can't figure out what the purpose is and why anyone would be a fan. If you are, please let me know how you use it.

Have you tried anything from Helen É?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

7 comments:

  1. Ages ago i tried a foundation from them, the lady convinced me to by it (and silly me i listened) came home and it was completely rubbish. Was really disappointed spending £20 and not using it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh the glitter had such potential, what a shame!! Great post!

    Helen X

    www.allthebeautifulthings.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. shame they were a bit disappointing. i do like the look of the glitter though!

    anna m

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! the glitter look so beautiful! shame it didnt work for you.

    www.etspeaksfromhome.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving all the sparkle! not seen this brand before.

    Sophie
    xx
    www.pocockins.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, glitter on the floor is a nightmare, but sparkly! I've not heard of this brand before either. What a shame that the products were suited to you, maybe if you contact them they could send you some samples to try, find the right shades for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I in no way realised this ahead of, but you have a fairly ideal stage certainly
    jeux de flash

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)